Thursday, September 25, 2008

When it gets bleak that is when I want to laugh

For as long as I can remember, humor has been my tool of choice, when faced with bad news or tough challenges. It isn't that I am a misanthrope, laughing at all the wrong moments. Instead, I mean to say that humor is often a tool for me to counter the effects on my brain of bad news, or a brewing storm of worry. Admittedlly, this has led to some observing that I have an inappropriate sense of humor. Still, I can state from experience, that I have managed to joke my way out of more then one sticky wicket, and I have been able to clear my head with humor in order to be more effective in dealing with problems that are weighty. Often these devices are silent and internal, simply humerous toughts. This can be a problem if I am particularly amused by my own humorous thought, and utter a giggle in the midst of a group consternation (aka cluster f**k). That usually leads me to utter a muffled sorry, and take a deep sigh to clear the amusement from my brain, which inevitably leads to uncontrollable laughter...the kind where if you're drinking something it comes out your nose, and forces you to retreat from the group that is standing around playing the "ain't it awful" game and looking at me like I am a shopping cart driving homeless person in the midst of a cocktail party at a Sotheby's auction review yelling "Hey, take my picture" at the Tattler photographer.

I am taking too long to introduce you to one of the funniest op-ed columns I've read in a long while. Considering that I read it after reading about all the political posturing going on in Washington while our "leaders" are supposed to be finding solutions, I would have to say it is one of the more valuable comic relief moments I have had in a long time. It came via NY Times columnist, Maureen Dowd. I like her acerbic style and her "anyone-is-fair-game" polemics. However, this time she recruited Aaron Sorkin (creative brain behind The West Wing) to "conjure" up a consultation between Obama and a respected former president. Check it out, it is well worth the read.

P.S. If you are unable to access the feature drop me a note and I'll email it to you.

P.P.S. Write to me and tell me about the last time you laughed so hard whatever you were drinking came out through your nose.

P.P.P.S. The part of the dialogue attributed to the distinguished ex - prez reminded me distinctly of a well known cartoon character. Anyone want to take a guess.

No comments: